A lot of people are here from out of town or on holiday and are asking me what restaurants they should be trying now that they have the chance. So I’ve compiled a list of 10 restaurants you might want to check out. The first five are new restaurants which have been getting rave reviews, they other 5 are restaurants which may have been around a while but are worth visiting for the reasons stated.
1. Pierneef at La Motte – I ate here the other day and it was amazing. You can read my review here. This is a definite and it’s very kid friendly.
2. Babel at Babylonstoren – Something different and all about their huge food garden.
3. Hemelhuis – a bit more central, a breakfast and lunch spot which is packed all the time for good reason.
4. French Toast – also in town, a nice option for tapas style eating and wine by the glass. The decor is exceptional. You can read my full review here.
5. Planet Restaurant – This used to be the Cape Colony restaurant at the Mount Nelson. It’s been completely revamped into one of the most exciting decor events we’ve seen in a while. Rudi Liebenberg is an excellent chef so the food won’t let you down.
1. Rust en Vrede – one of my favourites and has just been voted No. 1 restaurant in SA by Eat Out magazine. Quite pricey but you need to eat here to understand what a dining experience can be. Read my review here.
2. Cafe Paradiso – on the other extreme of the price spectrum, Cafe Paradiso is cheap and cheerful. It’s been taken over by Madame Zingara so expect a vibey place and good value. A lovely al fresco area with tree shade for these balmy summer days. Read some comments here.
3. Jordan restaurant – the new(ish) home of George Jardine. Also an Eat Out top 10 establishment. Stunning views and a chef that is passionate about his ingredients.
4. Brio – For those who like dinner dance, this is the spot. A lovely space which embraces its heritage, good food and a live band which plays all night. It can turn into quite a party as midnight approaches. Read my review here.
5. Down South – another newcomer in the CBD. This is a prawn and ribs spot by the Carl, the chef from Carne. Something a little different.
There are many other great new places like Sotano, La Mouette, Blakes, El Burro, etc. But you only have a limited time so I’m not going to list every option.
Eat and enjoy!