It’s that time of year again. Time for the wine festival that put both Wellington and Pinotage on the map. Time for the king of wine festivals. Time for Pinotage On Tap at Diemersfontein.
Pinotage On Tap or POT, as it’s affectionately nicknamed, has been going for more than 10 years and I’ve personally attended 5 of them so I can certainly vouch for the festival. Some of my best festival memories are from POT. What makes this festival so great, you ask? Well, let me tell you…
- Barrels – It’s not just that there is unlimited wine available to you, but actually pouring wine directly out of barrels is not something we get to do often and it seems to be a catalyst for festivities.
- Zolani – What’s a festival without music and Diemersfontein has brought in the big brass for this festival, literally. The famous Cape Town Brass Band together with special guest singer Zolani Mahola (of Freshly Ground fame) will be providing the good vibrations under the direction of conductor Richard Cock.
- Picnic – The ticket price includes food vouchers so when it suits you, you can order yourself some food and have a fabulous picnic on the grass while enjoying the music and lots of Pinotage!
- Wheels – You don’t want to be driving home after you’ve helped empty several barrels of wine, and believe me they are empty at the end of the festival, so take advantage of the shuttle service from Cape Town. A return ticket is only about R200 which is a very sweet deal.
- Fountain – The chocolate fountain is back! This was always a highlight but it does get messy which is probably why they stopped doing it. A giant chocolate fountain with a mountain of strawberries to dip. I’m sure you can imagine how that ends.
An extra reason not to miss Pinotage On Tap is that it’s always a great excuse to spend some time in Wellington which is very underappreciated region. We often stayed the whole weekend and enjoyed visiting wine farms and distilleries and more. Check out Wellington Tourism’s website for more info.
All the POT festival information is available at the Diemersfontein website, including the info on the shuttle service.
I have a pair of tickets to Pinotage On Tap (worth R870!) to give away. All you have to do is leave a comment below telling me how much you love the famous Diemersfontein Coffee & Chocolate Pinotage.
The winner will be randomly selected and announced on Wednesday 26th Oct. Make sure you use your correct email address when leaving your comment as I will notify the winner by email.